Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Yarn Harlot (W)rides Again

First, you should know, I have no idea what I plan to do with post. Mostly, I feel like writing.

A while back, I was fortunate enough to get an interview with Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, which was posted here. Okay, so that site is run by my husband, Joe, and his business partner and good friend, Dan, and occasionally I feel like I should contribute to new content, as that helps keep the numbers running. A little bit like new blog posts, though I can't say that I'm very good at that on my own. Their site is a bit more of a geek site and a whole not-a-lot of the knittery, so I tried to keep the interview about writerly, and geeky, stuff. It was fun. And terrifying.

She (the Yarn Harlot) is on tour again. Right now, as we speak, she's probably (smartly) getting some zzz's in a comfy Seattle hotel. The place she was to appear this evening, Third Place Books, is a top-rate independent used and new bookstore that has way more to it than just books and magazines. I mourn my lack of residence in my home town on nights like tonight, although if I were several years younger and unleveraged by a young child I would have made a bonsai trip up and back just to be there.

I have this wild idea that I might have a few more questions to ask the illustrious Harlot. Wisely, we haven't contacted her with such flights of fantasy because I have yet to read the latest book. I know, I'm a bad little fan. But if I were honest, I would have to admit that, English Literature near-degree not withstanding, I don't read much anymore. Knitting books are great - most of the words are about patterns or techniques - but not this most recent of YH endeavors. No, Free-Range Knitter is ". . . a sort of David Sedaris-like take on knitting--laugh-out-loud funny most of the time and poignantly reflective when it's not cracking you up." according to Library Journal. Essays. Oh crappers, I'd have to actually think while reading. Having at least some familiarity with YH's personal style I'm sure that means not only funny, but thoughtful, intelligent, conscious writing. Yup, too brainy for this momma.

Well, not really. I should give myself a tiny ounce of credit - I did used to read smart books. The list of things I read and absorbed at University is pithy, and I still own every bleeding tome. But that part of my life, and my brain, seem to be on hold for at present. I am present, but in a different way.

I don't know if this means I will try down the road a bit to read the book and then ask for an interview, or if I should just bag the idea altogether. The woman writes darn well on her own. And she would choose to fly over any other super power. How can you top that?

No comments: