Sunday, November 16, 2008

Black Trillium Shop Samples

I've been busy knitting up samples of some of my base yarns - I want folks to be able to see how my dyeing turns out if they're curious before they purchase. Here's my all-time favorite so far:



That's a finished sock out of the Heavy Merino Sock, which I'm calling HMS for short. This yarn is something between a DK and sport weight yarn, so it works really well for socks and for garments. I want to sell it in 200g skeins so that folks can knit a smaller garment out of a single skein - which should cut down on alternating skeins and pooling. I think my favorite part about knitting with this yarn is that socks take half the time on US 3's when the yarn is nice and fat.



I called the colorway Princepessa, because, let's face it, that's fairly fru-fru pinky-purple. I threw in small bits of deep rose and indigo to add visual interest, and I love the way they made single stitches stand out here and there.

The next sample is knit from the very first skein of yarn I ever dyed - and my mother bought! I'm knitting socks for her because she doesn't knit her own socks, but first, let's take pictures.



The yarn is 100% Merino Superwash, called Merino Sock, and it has a lovely twist that plumps after dyeing in a way that makes the softest socks. I haven't ordered more of this base yarn in a while as I've been trying new things, but there are a few skeins left on the site. The colorway was called Veggies, which I love (although it needs more orange), but I don't think will be repeated as it isn't terribly sellable. I might do it for myself one of these days. The thing I really appreciated about knitting this up is that it showed me that kettle dyeing really is the way to go to avoid pooling.



The next sock sample I'd like to show you is Meriamboo Sock - a blend of 80% Superwash Merino and 20% Bamboo. I cannot tell you how excited I was to find a base yarn that excluded Nylon content along with the other two. There is still so much wool in this yarn that color can still get nice and dark even though the bamboo is there. At the same time, the bamboo is shiny and will mitigate the wool's tendency to felt under the heated, moisture-laden environment of the inside of a shoe. Not to mention that Bamboo has anti-microbial qualities.



This sock is knit from a smallish half-skein that was left after winding, so I dumped it in the pot and added green and black to see just how dark and saturated the color might get.



I still have Merino Piccolo Sock to knit up - one self-striping in Wicked Sweet, and one in a fantastic variegated plummy fuchsia called Willful. I also have a skein of the Merilon Sock to start, finally. I love this yarn, but so does everyone else, so it seemed smarter to post what I had. But seriously, a girl can try her own yarn once in a while, right?

No comments: