Thursday, June 28, 2007

BTT: Desperation

Booking Through Thursday's question: what's the most desperate thing you've ever read because it was the only thing available, and was it worth your while?

If you've had a baby, you know just how boring being a pregnant woman waiting for a quick weigh-in and brief face-to-face with an OB or midwife can be. The magazines and such don't change much, and if your doctor's office is as busy as mine was, you're waiting for the PA, then waiting for the ultrasound tech, then waiting for the midwife. Simply put, I wasted hours of my life in a doctor's office.

Pregnancy brain isn't a good thing when trying to remember to bring a book or a project to the check-up. There were times when I was rereading the birth control minutiae of an add for the sixth or seventh or twentieth time. It was ghastly. I was reading labels and price tags on plants and pots outside the windows. I was reading the backs of other people's books from across the room.

Of course, there were times when first-trimester nausea prevented me from focusing on much of anything because it made me sicker. At that point I got really familiar with the details of every painting in the waiting rooms.

Was is worth it? Well, my son is pretty fantastic, so there's the up-side of the story. But I certainly wouldn't choose that doctor's office unless under duress. I may have read a few things in the various "parenting" magazines that have been helpful, though I couldn't recall exact details.



(Okay, can you tell I wasn't a "glowing" pregnant lady?)

3 comments:

Quail Hill Knits said...

The most desparate thing I have ever read was a paperbook novel someone left in the seat pocket of a jet on a very long flight. I remember the flight was a least six hours long and I didn't have the five bucks cash to rent a headset for the movie (College was a lean time). While looking for the traditional airline magazine, I found the paperback. I can't remember the title but it envolved alien life forms implanting themselves in the left ear of the victim and controling the person by pretending to be their "Conscience". If the victim resisted, they crawled up the ear canal into the brain, ate the thinking area of the brain and installed themselves as the new brain. (Why they didn't just do that in the first place was not explained) Lots of bizarre and highly improbable accidents occur. Some scientists find out about the aliens and work to find a cure before the aliens take over the world. I don't knoww the ending. The flight landed and I left the book for the next desparate flyer.

Yarnhog said...

Well, I can't top that. The most desperate thing I've ever read is the back of my cell phone battery--in the bathroom. I require reading material to...uh...well, you understand. I was at my mom's house, and she doesn't keep reading material in the bathroom. It worked, by the way.

Yarnhog said...

Thanks for the picot edge tip. That does seem easier than a provisional cast on. I'll have to give it a try.