Thursday, June 21, 2007

BTT: School days

School Days, Golden Rule Days(?)

1. Do you have any old school books? Did you keep yours from college? Old textbooks from garage sales? Old workbooks from classes gone by?

2. How about your old notes, exams, papers? Do you save them? Or have they long since gone to the great Locker-in-the-sky?

Of course I have old school books. While I doubt I have anything from high school (bo-ring), I have quite a few old biology and chemistry texts, as well as every (freakin') novel or text I read for my English degree. There's also a smattering of French and Psychology hanging 'round here somewhere. I have been tempted by other people's textbooks, but in the end I tend to realize they won't have as much meaning for me.

I've saved all my notes and things from my English classes because it will come in very helpful if I ever have to demostrate what a class was about for another institution. My other motivation is to have that stuff around to look back on when I'm preparing for graduate school. Ultimately, I think all that stuff could be helpful if I decide to be an independent scholar. Really, has anyone done the math lately on how much it takes to earn a PhD in English in comparison to how much we get paid? Ouch.

1 comment:

Quail Hill Knits said...

Hi. No, I actually started going through the old books, papers and things about two years agao and have eliminated about 90% of them. Law Books tend to become outdated quickly. I did save a representative of the law exam thing but put that in a scrap book. No, what I save are tax records. I have every receipt from my Law Practice since 1994. It has come in handy after being audited. Oh and by the way, the Face Hugger is from the catalog "Things You Never Knew You Needed". Justin saw it when he was 11 and asked for it for Christmas. It is the only stuffed animal he still has in his room (He's 18 now) and it sits on top of his computer monitor. I can tell you that every male friend he has who has seen it wants one and the girls all tell him that can't stand the sight of it.