Thursday, May 31, 2007

BTT: Paper Or Plastic

BTT question of the week:

- Do you read e-Books?
- [I]f so, how? On your computer, or a PDA?
- Or are you a paper purist? Why?

I'm not shy about taking sides or agruing a point, but I never considered that there might be folks out there that felt specifically about how they read their books! As for me, my brushes with e-texts have been for university classes. Interlinear translations on the Harvard Chaucer site were essential for my Chaucer class. And how can you not think Project Gutenberg is totally fabulous?

Here's the thing: I've never read a book on a computer or other electronic device. Does this make a paper purist? I don't think so, but there is something to be said for the physical experience of turning pages. Sometimes, when a book is a little slow, actual physical progress may be the only thing that keeps me going. I've only recently tried alternatives to reading, like audiobooks. I think since I haven't really been hooked, there must be something pretty essential for me in having the book front and center.

No comments: